Adobong Atay at Balun-balunan
Atay at Balunbalunan is also known as Chicken Gizzard and liver. The best way to cook this is Adobo.
Adobo is a Spanish-Influenced dish where the meat is cooked in a combination of vinegar, soy sauce and spices. All through-out the years Filipinos have perfected the dish and became the most popular and commonly cooked.
Though to some, this dish is a little disgusting, but to many it’s mouth watering. I loved this one ever since I was a kid.
Here are the ingredients to make this dish:
- 1/2 kilo chicken atay (liver)
- 1/2 kilo chicken balunbalunan
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 spoon sugar
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 pieces laurel leaves
- pepper and seasonings
- Saute garlic and onion
- Add the atay and balunbalunan and let is simmer
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, laurel leaves, sugar and water then put into boil
- When you see that the liver is already cooked, add seasonings and pepper then stir
- Best served with steaming hot rice
What I love about this dish is the sauce. There are some crashed liver that blends with the mixture and added more flavor. I still love this dish with little sauce.