Adobong Lechong Kawali
Ringo | On 15, Jul 2014
Last week, I took a three-day break from my online and offline businesses in order to at least stay away from the stress it brought me (I’m telling you being a homebase guy will also cause you stress).
Guess what guys? I took a vacation somewhere north to visit a friend who found a family in the province. He and his wife were already happy managing the lot his parents gave him. The place is great, just a few walk from the stream and a tricycle ride to reach the unspoiled beach.
But, the thing I enjoyed the most is the food.
His wife cooked different types of foods during my stay and I felt like a king being served and offered with food to a point that I have to decline due to I’m very bloated. But one dish that captured my HUGE APPETITE is the Adobong Lechong kawali.
I made my own version.
- 1 kilo pork belly – sliced into small pieces
- 3/4 cup vinegar (separate 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 soy sauce (separate 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 medium onion (allot some for the sauce) – finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic (allot some for the sauce) – finely minced
- laurel leaves
- ground pepper
- oil for frying
Procedure (poach the liempo):
- In a pan boil the liempo in two cups water for about 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup vinegar and soy sauce, garlic and onion; and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoon sugar, laurel leaves and pepper; and boil until the water almost run out.
- Remove the meat from the pan and let it cool down.
Make adobo sauce:
- In a pan mix the remaining water, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, onion and garlic let it boil for about five minutes.
- Add laurel leaves and pepper. Boil until thick.
Fry the liempo and combine with sauce.
- Pre-heat a deep pan for about a minute and add oil. Keep the fire high for about 5 minutes.
- Add the liempo and cover.
- When finished drizzle with the sauce.
- To prevent the oil from splattering make sure that the meat is a little dry.
- Deep fry (I mean all covered) to have great result.
- Do not over drizzle the liempo as it will result into gummy and lapse lechong kawali.