This Chicken Caldereta recipe involves a bit of work. However, when done, this will result in a delectable and enjoyable dish.
Caldereta is a Filipino dish that is made of meat, tomato sauce, and vegetables. It is inspired by the Spanish dish Caldera meaning cauldron.
Traditionally, Caldereta is composed of goat’s meat, tomatoes, water, and spices. Then, it will be boiled until the soup thickens. However, as the years go by, natives of each region added some kicks to the original recipe and changed the protein because of the meat and vegetable availability.
As the palate of Filipinos change, Caldereta became a common tomato dish that varies from region to region. Now, it’s sweet and instead of soup, it has a rich and flavorful sauce.
This post will write the recipe for Chicken caldereta recipe that can serve at least 5 people.
- 1-kilo chicken, cleaned (fat removed), cut into 8-10 pieces
- 500 grams tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon liver spread
- 5 pieces tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled chopped
- A pinch of finely chopped basil leaves
- 3 pieces hotdog, chopped
- 1 knob garlic, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute garlic, onion, and ginger (roast the garlic).
- Add the tomatoes and let it simmer until the skin peels off.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Put the water and let it boil until it thickens.
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and bring to boil.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Bring into a boil.
- Put the cheese and liver spread. Bring into a boil.
- Add hot dogs and bring into a boil.
- Turn off the fire and add the basil leave and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy.
- You can continue to add water in case it dries out.
- The amount of sugar will be based on your family’s preferences.
- For a more enjoyable meal, you can pair this caldereta manok with steaming hot rice.