Filipino Chicken Curry
Ringo | On 05, Feb 2013
The expedition that triggers world wars is actually done because of food. My history teacher during my elementary days said that popular early travelers like Ferdinand Magellana and Amerigo Vespucci decided to travel to discover precious spices like cinnamon around the globe.
According to some sources, Magallan bartered (exchange of goods) with the early locals of different countries.
This expedition doesn’t just discover, it also influenced. It influenced tradition, habits, culture and most specially, the cuisines. Chicken curry was a dish that was influenced by the Indians to the world. According to Wikipedia, the North Americans got the recipe from the Indians and introduced it to the Philippines.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 kilo chicken – cleaned and chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 spoon curry powder
- 2 pieces medium potato – chopped
- 2 pieces carrots – chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper – chopped
- 1 bundle of Spring onion – chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic – minced
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 1 thumb-sized ginger – chopped
- oil (for sauteing)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute garlic and onion.
- Add the ginger and bell pepper. Let it simmer.
- Add the chicken and let it fry for a minute.
- Add the coconut milk and a cup of water. Let it boil for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add another cup of water and let it boil.
- Add carrots and potato. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the spring onion, seasonings, salt and pepper. Let it boil for a minute and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy.