Ginataang Tilapia Recipe
Ringo | On 25, May 2012
Tilapia or Chichlid Fish is probably, one of the most served fish here in the Philippines. The species of this fish is everywhere around the world where there is warm water. So, everybody is enjoying this yummy fish.
I’m not a big fan of those gigantic tilapia, I found their flesh a little rubbery and the taste is a little bland. What I want are the small to medium-sized tilapia.
For me, one of the best ways to cook this is with coconut milk. The recipe that I will post today is my mom’s.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 kilo medium tilapia – wash and remove the internal parts
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 bundle pechay – remove the bottom part
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 1 knob ginger – chopped
- 2 pieces tomatoes – chopped
- 1 piece green chili
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- cooking oil
- 1. Saute garlic, onion and ginger.
- 2. Add tomatoes and let it simmer until some of the skins will peel-off.
- 3. Add the water and coconut milk and let it boil.
- 4. After boiling add, green chili, pepper and salt to taste. Make it a little bland for your preferences.
- 5. Add the tilapia and let it boil for 15 minutes.
- 6. Add pechay and boil 1 minute.
- 7. Serve and enjoy.
This dish is good with a shrim paste (bagoong) as a dip. I love the head part where I can sip the eyes of the fish.