Ginisang Upo Recipe
Ringo | On 13, Jun 2012
Ginisang Upo or Sauted bottle gourd is another favorite dish. According to some documentations, this dish started in the provinces of Visayas and inherited through out the world because of the vegetable’s abundance.
Bottle gourd with scientific name Lagenaria siceraria is available in the Philippines throughout the year. This is because, the plant is not choosy and will grow great even to poor soil. The thick green skin serves as a great protection for the plan’ts fruit and the white flesh has this natural antibody that protects itself from fungi and insects.
Bottle gourd is used to different dishes, but can used as the main ingredient. By simple sauteing it and with some meat and other vegetable a great dish is now ready.
- 1 whole bottle gourd – peeled and sliced into strips
- 1/2 kilo pork – fat separated and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – finely minced
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 2 pieces tomatoes – chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Let the oil of the fat comes out. You can do this by boiling the fat into 3 spoon water and wait until all the water evaporates and let the fat be fried on it’s own oil until crispy. This process is called sangkutsa locally. Set aside the fat.
- 2. Using the same oil from the fat, saute garlic and let it roasted.
- 3. Add onion and let it simmer.
- 4. Add tomatoes and about 3 spoon water and simmer until some of the skin of the tomatoes peel off.
- 5. Add the meat and let it simmer.
- 6. Add pepper and salt.
- 7. Add the bottle gourd strips and let it boil.
- 8. Mix when the bottle gourd softens.
- 9. Serve and enjoy.
Note: The bottle gourd when cooked, will released it’s water adding flavors and soup to the dish. No need to add water.