How to cook Okoy?
Okoy or Crispy Shrimp Fritters is like a hamburger patty, but instead of using beef, you will use the raw materials in making shrimp paste (young shrimps). When cooked this is very crunchy and tasty. It is claimed that Laguna started this dish as snack, but as time goes by Flipinos prefer to eat this as the main course.
There are also recipes using chopped and peeled adult shrimps, but this recipe of mine will use the baby shrimp and some other vegetables.
Here are the ingredients to make this dish:
- 1/2 kilo raw baby shrimp
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium carrots (shred using cheese shredder)
- 1 medium potato (shredded)
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- spring onion, chopped
- ground pepper
- oil for frying
- Wash the shrimp, drain in a huge bowl form it like a volcano.
- Put all the ingredients in the center and try to mix it well first before mixing it with the shrimp.
- Fry a spoon of the mixture on a heated pan on a medium fire.
- Remove when crispy.
- To remove excess oil, put tissue on a plate and let the okoy rest for few minutes. Using another tissue lightly press it on the top of okoy to absorb some oil on the top.
- Serve with vinegar.
This dish is easy to make, but will take a lot of patience and concentration. This dish must be cooked toasted in order to achieve enough crispiness that makes the dish delicious, but letting it in the fire for longer time will make it biter. Make sure you will preheat the pan to avoid sticking, if you have non-stick then no problem on your side.