Igado or Pork Meat and Liver Stew
When liver was added to a meat dish, that was heaven for me. I kinda like the light bitterness that the liver can add in the sauce of the dish. Though not all in the family loved liver, most of us enjoy it.
For me, one of the greatest dish with liver, was the Igado or Pork Meat and Liver Stew.
Igado is another Filipino made dish where the pork meat and liver will be stewed in an acid-based liquid, usually vinegar. But my mom, cooked this is a pineapple juice making it a little sweet and of course, yummy.
Here are the ingredients:
- 3/4 kilo of pork meat – sliced in strips
- 1/4 kilo of pork liver – sliced in strips
- 1 piece bell pepper
- onion – chopped
- garlic – minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- pepper and seasonings
- 1 piece siling labuyo
- 1 bay leaf
- Soak first the meat and liver in pineapple juice and water for 15-30 minutes.
- In a pan, saute garlic and onion.
- Add the meat and liver including the juice. Boil until cooked.
- Add bell pepper, pepper, bay leaves, seasoning and boil for another 15 more minutes.
- Add the siling labuyo and stir.
- Serve and enjoy.
When this is our viand, I can chow down 4-5 cups of rice in one sitting. You can also sangkutsa the fat part and use the oil for sauteing the garlic and onion.
Igado is another dish that gets better and better the it is stocked in the fridge. The flavors of the sauce will be absorbed by the liver and meat that will make another explosive pieces in every bites.