Ringo | On 14, Jan 2013
Barbecue was one of the things I grew up with. My mom, popularly known as “Manang Soling” used to sell grilled foods during my elementary to high school days. I will leave our house for school in the morning seeing that my mom is already skewering the animal internal parts and will arrive home with many people mobbing in front of our house waiting for their orders.
Despite some of my friends used to tease me (I don’t know why), I never became embarrassed. I even invite my acquaintances in our house to try my mom’s barbecue as I’m 100% sure it’s delicious.
Maybe, my mom’s love for the grill is the reason why I also love grilling foods. I love experimenting with the marinades of the barbecue. The experimentation process makes me came up with a version of Kebab.
Here are the ingredients For the barbecue:
- 1 kilo of pork – chopped (barbecue size)
- 1 medium carrot – chopped
- 1 big red onion – chop into small squares
- 2 piece bell pepper – chop into squares
- Pineapple chunks in can
- 1 piece cucumber – chop into squares
For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 spoon sugar
- 1 spoon ketchup
- 1 cup water
For the sauce (used to drizzle while grilling):
- 3 spoon ketchup
- Juice from 5 pieces of Calamansi
- The syrup from the can of pineapple chunks
- 5 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients of the marinade and mix well.
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce, mix well and set aside.
- Soak the pork meat in the marinade and let it stand, the longer the better. Me I started to marinade the pork from 11 am to 5 pm.
- Skewer the meat and vegetables. Much better if you will follow this patter: (1) cucumber (2) meat with fat (3) onion (4) meat (5) bell pepper (6) meat (7) carrot (8) meat and (9) pineapple. Please check the notes why.
- Grill the barbecues while brushing it with the sauce. Keep the charcoal glowing, but make sure that the meat will not burn.
- Serve and enjoy.
- The step 4 will make a greater result. The cucumber will cover the fat part from burning and the pineapple on top will not be cooked easily.
- I use electric fan to keep the fire burning, but will turn it off when I knew that the barbecue are starting to burn.
- The sauce will compliment not just the meat, but the vegetables as well, specially the onion and bell pepper.