Kinilaw na Yellow Fin Tuna (Mom's Recipe)
Another specialty of my mom, Manang Soling, is the Kilawin. When I was a kid, she used to make this dish. But that time, I am disgusted. Now I’m all grown up, I will dig down my mom’s Kilawin everytime she make this. Usually, she cook this using dilis. But, I will show you my mom’s Kinilaw na Yellow Fin Tuna (Para mas sosyal!!!).
Kinilaw or Kilawin is a process of cooking a meat, usually sea foods using a strong acid like those of vinegar or citrus juice. Usually, a combination. No heat involved. The meat will be soaked in the mixture that will turn the it into a little pale color as if it’s cooked. My mom also told me that the bacteria were also killed in the process.
I love this dish, specially with spicy flavor.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo yellow fin tuna, washed and chopped into small cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 thumb-sized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, copped
- 5 spoon vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 7 pieces of calamansi, juiced
- Put the yellow fin tuna meat in a bowl and season it with salt and pepper.
- Add the vinegar and calamansi juice, mix well and let it stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and refrigirate to let it stand.
My mom used to say that we should let the the vinegar and calamansi juice to cure the meat first before eating. The boys in the house were the only one who will chow down this dish.
My sisters hate this. My two brothers, usually, don’t go out their rooms. So, me and my father were the one who feast with my mom’s specialty.