Ensaladang lato is a fabulous dish, which is perfect with fried dishes… How to make it? Follow the recipe below and make the most awesome seaweeds salad.
With Scientific Caulerpa lentillifera, sea grape is a species of green algae found in the Indo-Pacific region, which also includes the Philippines. They are called that way because they look like tiny grapes found on the ocean floor.
Here it’s called lato or arorosep, and it’s popular because of the taste and bursting experience. It’s a great pulutan during drinking sessions.
Read: Tofu Sisig Recipe
While farming of this wonderful seaweed met the demands, there are still locals who depend on the wild ones as their source of income. They pick them manually in the rocky coastal areas and then will bring them in the markets.
You can serve it as it is or you can make ensaladang lato (seaweed salad).
- 2 cups sea grapes – cleaned
- 4 medium tomatoes – chopped
- 2 medium red onions – chopped
- 2 pieces itlog na maalat – peeled and chopped
- ground pepper
- First, clean the sea grapes. You must remove the roots and undesirable parts before chopping.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy.
- You can buy sea grapes for P40-P60 per cup in local markets.
- To clean it, you must put them in a big bowl filled with water and manually inspect it to remove the roots, rotting stems, and crushed parts.
- You can also add onion spring and chopped Thai pepper a spicy kick.