Make suman from scratch
Ringo | On 16, Dec 2012
Baby Boomers, they are people who are born during the post-World War III at about 1946 to 1964. Meaning, they are the today’s seniors of our nation.
Experts will agree with me if I said they are the one dictating the market and nation’s phase. Way back, the real-estate suddenly boomed due to the fact that the baby boomers wanted to establish a family. And now, due to health concerns of the baby boomers, the health and wellness is at it’s peak.
The younger generations should also learn from them. If you’ll notice, huge companies still have baby boomers as their chief, the government has witty leaders who belong to the group and companies still ask the advice of baby boomers despite they are already retired.
This also goes with the culinary. We, the younger ones will learn lots of techniques, processes and flavor combination from our baby boomers. My mom and dad, aunts, uncles and my niece’s nanny are one of those baby boomers that can make a satisfying cuisine out of vintage ways. And, I learn from them.
I’m really convinced when my niece’s nanny, my mom and aunt made suman out of scratch. They started from whole cassava, grating it, mixing with more ingredients and many more.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 kilo cassava – peeled and grated
- 1/4 kilo white sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Banana leaves
Make the mixture:
1. Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
2. Set aside.
Prepare the banana leaves:
1. The grill should already have burning coals.
2. Cut the the banana leaves into 50×85 inches
3. Put the leaves in the grill for 10 seconds. The process is called “darang”
Prepare the suman:
1. Reshape the banana leaf into a funnel-like (refer to the picture).
2. Add the cassava mixture with much space for closing the top part of the leaf.
3. Close the top just like closing a gift wrapper.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 until finished.
Cook the suman:
1. Put the casserole with 3 cups of water on the grill.
2. Just put the suman inside the casserole and let it boil for about 30 minutes.
3. Remove from the grill.
4. Serve and enjoy.