Mustard and Radish Salad is an extraordinary dish. The two may sound unorthodox but they are a great combination. They are delicious.
“Opposite attracts,” people say. Scientifically and romantically, I somehow agree.
In elementary school, teachers explain that magnets will only attract when they are opposite.
Then, when I grew, I met this extrovert lady, who loves to party, which is a total opposite of me. At first, I didn’t bother to get to know her, but soon after, she started to gain my interest. Then we clicked and our moments blossomed into a romantic relationship.
Though we didn’t end up together, we are just a great example that opposite attracts. I miss the times when we try to get into each other’s interests despite we can’t really appreciate them.
Two vegetables that I thought will never get along are mustard and radish. However, they are a good combination to a salad.
Recipe: Sinigang na Bangus Recipe
Here is my recipe for Mustard and Radish Salad:
- 1 bundle mustard
- 1 medium radish, peeled
- 3 medium tomatoes, cleaned and chopped
- Cold water
- Ground Pepper
Prepare the Vegetables:
- Remove the base of the mustard and wash.
- Use a salad spinner (optional) to remove the excess water.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of salt and 1/4 cup cold water. Then mix well.
- Press using your hand to remove the most moisture. Add more cold water, mix, and press again to remove excess salt. Set aside.
- Using a cheese grater, cut the radish into small pieces.
- Repeat the steps 3 and 4 but this time, using the radish.
Make the Salad:
- In a bowl combine the radish, mustard, tomatoes, and pepper. Mix again.
- Serve and enjoy.
- You can add more salt based on your preferences. However, for me, no need.
- You can also add shallots for sweet kicks.