Mustard and Radish Salad
Ringo | On 04, Dec 2012
Mustard and Radish Salad is one of the unknown dish that my aunt and mom used to make. This is made from fresh mustard, grated radish with tomato and onions.
According to my aunt, her father used to make this salad way back she was young in Samar and called it ‘Kinilaw na mustasa”. She even recalled that even when she was a kid, she already loved the taste.
Now, even we, the younger generation loved this appetizer and we are crazy over it. Even my nieces and young cousins are digging the salad down as if it’s not made from vegetables. Another very great way to trick them.
When I first saw this dish, I thought it’s just one of those early town dish that has no taste. I even joked “Ano na naman yan? Sinaunang pagkain?” But, when I ate it, I’m really astonished on a way that the ingredients maintained their flavor and freshness. The best part is that the nutrition is still present as this requires no usage of fire.
Who would ever know that we can make a fresh salad out of radish and mustard?
Here are the ingredients:
- 2 bundles of mustard leaves, chopped in small pieces
- 2 pieces medium radish, peeled and grated
- 2 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 of medium white onion, chopped
- 2 spoon salt
- Add the mustard and radish together.
- Add salt, mix well and let it stand for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Wring or squeeze the vegetables to let the juice to come out.
- Add tomato and onion, mix well and serve.
- Don’t add the juice anymore as this was very salty.
- To shred the radish you can use the cheese grater. It’s much better if the radish flesh were very fine.
- Never use red onions and this will add spicy flavor to the salad.
- You can also add spring onions, a little pepper and many more.