My mom’s Kinilaw na Puso ng Saging sa Gata
My Mom’s Version of Kinilaw na Puso ng Saging sa Gata
Here is another recipe from my mom. She just found this recipe while watching TV and did some reinvention and innovations of her own. The Puso ng Saging or Banana Buds “Heart” are cooked only by soaking it in vinegar with little sugar.
I love this dish as my mom add coconut milk as a soup for the dish. She also add pieces of pork meat and green spices for add spicy kicks to it.
Here are the ingredients:
- 4 cups puso ng saging or banana “heart”
- 1/2 kilo pork, chopped in small manner
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 spoon sugar
- 4 spoon salt
- 1 piece green chillies or siling panigang
- Garlic, minced
- Onion, chopped
- Ground pepper
- 1. To remove the sap (dagta) of the puso ng saging, add salt to it and mash using hands. Let it stand for 15-30 minutes and wash.
- 2. Add vinegar with sugar to the mashed puso ng saging and let it stand for an hour, drain and set aside.
- 3. In a pan, saute garlic and onion.
- 4. Add the pork meat and let it simmer.
- 5. Add coconut milk and water and let it boil for 10 minutes.
- 6. Add the green chillies and let it boil for another 2-3 minutes.
- 7. Add pepper and mix well.
- 8. Add the puso ng saging and mix will still on fire.
- 9. Turn off the fire and let it stand to at least cook the puso ng saging more.
- 10. Serve and enjoy.
What do I like about this dish of my mom is that the vegetable is still crunchy. The creaminess is still there and the spicy flavor is at the after taste. Very Delicious!!!