Paksiw na Malacapas Recipe is fun and easy to do. They don’t require extra cooking skills, lots of knife works, and will only take a few minutes.
Though not-so-popular, malacapas is a delicious fish that is also cheap and people can buy them everywhere.
According to my father, when he was still single, malacapas (mojarra) is one of the fishes that he and his cousin/buddy used to catch and sell in their neighborhood to support their respective families.
He said they are plenty in brackish though they can also catch them in the sea and freshwaters. He then recalled that whenever he has extra malacapas, he loves to cook them paksiw.
Here is Paksiw na Malacapas recipe:
- 1/2 kilo malacapas, cleaned and innards removed
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 knob ginger, pounded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 pieces tomatoes, chopped
- 1 piece green chilies
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan, saute garlic and onion. Make sure the onion becomes translucent.
- Add ginger and tomatoes. wait until the skin of the tomatoes peels off.
- Pour the vinegar and water. Then, let it boil.
- Add the green chilies and season it with salt and pepper.
- Add the malacapas and cover. Let the water reduce.
- Serve and enjoy.
- When you season, it’s much better if it tastes blander because we need to reduce the liquid.
- You can also add talbos ng kamote for a crunchy texture.