Sinigang Na Baboy with Gabi
Ringo | On 16, Jun 2012
As of now (June 16, 2012), the Tropical Storm “Butchoy” is in the Philippines, and according to the weather department of PAG-ASA this will bring rains to Metro Manila until the following days.
This rains will bring coldness in the atmosphere and aside from sleeping,one of the best thing to do is to sip a warm soup to ease the coldness. Isn’t it amazing that you are eating with warm soup on the side after a very long and tiring day?
I already posted a Sinigang na Baboy recipe here, but this time it’s another recipe with different ingredients. I also put gabi or taro for thicker soup.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 kilo of pork – chopped into preferred sizes
- 1 bundle kankong or water spinach – bottom removed and chopped
- 8-10 pieces sigarilyas or winged beans – bottom and top removed and chopped
- 3 medium gabi or taro – peeled and chopped
- 4 pieces tomatoes – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – finely minced
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 2 pieces siling haba or green chilies
- 1 pack sinigang mix or 5 unripe tamarind
- 10-12 cups of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you will use fresh tamarind – boil it in a cup of water and crush. Strain and set aside (disregard this step if you will use sinigang mix). Let me call the “sour flavor”
- In an pan, boil the pork in the water (10-12 cups) until tender. Based on my measurement, it will take you 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, onion and tomatoes and put into boil for 5 more minutes.
- Add gabi and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add sigarilyas, sour flavor, salt and pepper to taste and boil for 3 minutes.
- Add green chilies and boil for 1 minute.
- Add the water spinach until cook.
- Serve and enjoy.