Steamed Mussels Recipe
Ringo | On 10, May 2012
Mussel is definitely one of the most popular sea foods that Filipinos used to eat. Maybe, because of its price. A kilo of mussels can only cost P20-40 per kilo and you can even haggle with the sellers. I know this seller that when I’m about to buy some mussels to her, she will allow me to pick from her bucket without any charge.
One of the best ways to cook this is by steaming. I am really wondering why do the oldies call this process steam, but will never steam the mussels. In fact, we will boil the boil the mussels.
But, whatever the term is, I don’t care. Because, this is very delicious and the soup is one of the best.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 kilo mussels- cleaned
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 2 thumb-size ginger – chopped
- 2 pieces tomato – chopped
- 1 cup water
- My sister taught me how to remove some particle in mussels. She said that soaking the mussels overnight in water with a spoon of salt will make the mussels release some particles inside the shells which includes sand, seaweeds and many more.
- In a casserole, put the water and tomato together and bring into boil.
- Add the mussels and all the ingredients and mix well.
- Cover the casserole and put into boil for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Note: As you can notice, I add a cup of water. This is because I found a recipe without water too salty.