Twisted Macaroni in Bechamel Sauce
Ringo | On 14, Dec 2012
Twisted foods. They are everywhere. I don’t know if it’s a trend or just a promotional strategy to juice out something.
In example, when I was a kid, the “Twisted Marshmallow” is something that me and my friends should have or else, you don’t belong. This was quite popular because of the jingle with lyrics “Twisted it, twisted it, Twister Marshmallow” that also comes with fancy graphics.
Another one is the “Twisted Fried Potatoes” that have caused me to buy some due to curiosity. It was a whole potato sliced using a rotating blade that will result into a tornado-like potatoes, skewered in stick and will be deep fried.
And, let’s not forget McDonalds’ “Twister Fries” that people in all ages have tried.
Another Twisted food that have caught my eye was the Twisted Macaroni. It’s everywhere available and the price is just ok. My sister have devoted her life cooking great pasta dishes. So, here’s one of her dish. The “Twisted Macaraoni in Bechamel Sauce”.
Here are the ingredients to make this dish:
For twisted Macaroni:
- 500 grams twisted Macaroni
- 1 kilo ground beef
- 2 250 grams tomato sauce (Original)
- 2 cups tomato ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can button mushroom, sliced vertically
- onion, sliced
- garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon powdered pepper
- salt to taste
For Bechamel Sauce
- 1 pouch Eden Cheese Sauce
- 3 spoon grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 spoon butter
- 1/2 spoon flour, diluted in 1/4 cup water
- a pinch of salt
Procedure for Twisted Macaroni
- Cook the Pasta in a boiling water with salt and oil. Make sure that the pasta is submerged in water. Constantly check the pasta if already cooked. Strain and set aside.
- In a separate pan, saute garlic and onion.
- Add the ground beef and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add water and let it boil until the beef is cooked.
- Add tomato sauce and ketchup and let it boil until some water evaporates, boiling can take up to 15 minutes.
- Add the mushroom, stir and let it boil for a while.
- Add sugar, seasonings, salt and pepper, let it boil for 10 minutes and set aside.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and mix well.
Procedure for bechamel sauce
- Melt the butter in a low fire.
- Add all the ingredients together and boil for 10 minutes of until the sauce thickens.
- In a square or rectangular pan layer first the pasta covering 1/3 the height of the pan.
- Add the bechamel sauce covering the pasta.
- Repeat the step 1 and 2 until the whole pan was covered.
- Serve and enjoy.
Please take note that the recipe here will be adjusted based on your taste preferences. The recipe here is based on Filipino style recipe that is sweet with sour kicks. You can also use ground pork, but I really recommend beef as beef can add more flavor.