Are you looking for adobo recipe with crispy bits? Well, check out this crispy adobo recipe.
Adobo, the unofficial national dish of the Philippines, can also be considered as the man’s lazy dish. Why? Because you can just dump all the ingredients and let it boil until cooked. Also, you can cook a batch, leave it in the refrigerator, and go back to it when you are hungry.
However, if you are in the mood. You can do it with a little extra.
This Crispy Adobo dish will have “chicharron” from the fat part of the pork that will add crispy texture when chewing.
- 1 kilo of pork – you can use kasim or liempo
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Laurel leaf
- ground pepper
- Separate the fat part into the lean ones.
- Boil the fat part in water for about 10 minutes or until tender. Then, remove from heat, and slice in a very thinly (refer to the picture).
- Return the cut fat part into the boiling water. While doing this cut the lean part based on your preferences.
- When all the water evaporates, turn the heat into a very low fire and let the fat cook itself. This process is called sangkutsa.
- When all the fat becomes “chicharron” or becomes very crispy, remove them from the heat and set aside.
- Using some of the oil from the sangkutsa, saute garlic and onions.
- Add the lean meats and let it simmer for a while.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar, and about 1/4 cup water, and let it boil until the liquid evaporates. Based on my experience, it’ll take you 25 minutes.
- When the liquid evaporates, let the meat to be fried on their own oil.
- When some of the meat was already roasted quickly add the remaining water and stir well.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and let the sauce thicken.
- Remove from heat and add the chicharron then stir.
- Serve and enjoy.
- This dish will require lots of patience because slicing the meat alone will take you time.
- Step 9 should be done as quickly as possible.
- This is a crispy adobo that must be eaten when served because the chicharron and crispy parts of the lean meat will soften.