Lechong Kawali recipe is a meticulous process but worthy. I actually uncovered a secret to lessen the oil splatter when cooking.
They are delicious, crunchy, flavorful, and mouth-watering. However, they are neck-breaking and headache clinching. They are lechong kawali!
My version of crispy lechong kawali will test your patience because it will involve several dunks to boiling oil. However, I can assure you that the result is amazing.
Please be noted that this is a very unhealthy dish and not recommended for people who have high blood pressure, diabetic and weight watchers.
Here is my lechong kawali recipe:
- 1 kilo pork belly
- 3 bulb onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 pieces laurel leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- Oil for frying
Prepare the Belly
Yes, only pork belly! You may use other parts, but the result will never be the same. It is advised that you buy and initially boil the belly the night before you fry it.
Carefully clean the belly. You should remove the dirt that the meat accumulated in the market, the cyst, and the hair. Then, cut it based on the size of your pan. You must always measure it so they will be fully submerged in the oil.
- In a pressure cooker, put the chopped belly and add water. Make sure they are submerged.
- Add all the seasonings and cook under pressure for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the cooker, let them cool, and put it in the fridge. Let it sit overnight.
It is recommended that you use a strainer-like container while the belly sit overnight so most of the water will drain.
Fry the Lechong Kawali
- Using a paper towel, remove the excess water from the chopped belly. Return it to the fridge while you heat the pan and oil.
- Drop the belly skin first and don’t cover. Fry only for about 3 minutes under high heat.
- Remove from the pan and return it to the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Again, under high heat drop the belly skin first and fry for about a minute. Return to the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process step 5 until you achieve a crispy chicharon-like consistency of the skin.
- Serve and enjoy.