Though I love beef caldereta, I’m super picky about it. The beef meat should be melt in your mouth while the sauce should be thick and flavorful. I don’t want a soupy caldereta.
Because of my picky taste for beef caldereta, I usually try to make it myself. In the long run, I formulated my recipe. My father who is also a fan of this dish, will usually buy the ingredients and ask me to cook it.
Read: Chicken Caldereta Recipe
- 1 kilo beef – slice into cubes
- 2 medium potatoes – peel and chop
- 1 medium carrot – peeled and chop
- 2 medium bell peppers – remove the seeds and chop
- 4 tomatoes – slice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 medium red onion – chop
- 4 fresh basil leaves – chop
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- 2 tablespoons Reno Liver Spread
- 4 cloves garlic – mince
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a pressure cooker, tenderize the beef that is seasoned with salt and pepper. Then, set aside.
- In a pan, saute garlic and onion.
- Add the tomatoes and let them simmer until the skins peel off.
- Add the potatoes and carrot and let it simmer.
- Put the beef and the remaining stock and let it boil.
- Add the tomato sauce, cheese, fresh basil, and brown sugar. Then, let them boil until the sauce thickens.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Tenderizing the beef is essential with this recipe. The 5 cups of water are enough to tenderize the beef for about 45 minutes. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can boil it for about 2 hours. Just continuously add water.
- You can adjust the brown sugar based on your preferences.
- If you don’t have fresh basil, you may use the dried ones. If you can’t find both the dried and fresh, you can use laurel leaves.
- Reno Liver Spread will result in a tastier beef caldereta. It is recommended to use this brand.
- This beef caldereta recipe is best with hot rice, fish sauce, and ice-cold cola.