Are you looking for a way on how to cook okoy? Well, check out the ingredients and procedure in cooking okoy.
Okoy or crispy shrimp fritters are like hamburger patties. However, instead of using ground beef or pork, you will use tiny shrimp (alamang). When cooked, this is crunchy, flavorful, and tasty.
It is claimed that Laguna started this dish as a snack, but as time goes by Filipinos prefer to eat this as the main course.
Read: Buttered Shrimp Recipe
There are also recipes using peeled and chopped medium shrimps, but this recipe will use the small shrimps and some vegetables.
- 1/2 kilo raw small shrimps (alamang)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium carrots – grated
- 1 medium potato – grated
- 2 medium onions – finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic – finely minced
- spring onion – chopped
- ground pepper
- oil for frying
- Wash the shrimp, drain in a huge bowl form it like a volcano.
- Put all the ingredients in the center. Then, try to mix them well first before mixing them with the shrimp.
- Fry about two tablespoons of the mixture on a heated pan over a medium fire.
- Remove when crispy.
- Serve and enjoy.
- This dish is somehow tricky. You must fry it long enough to achieve that crispy texture but not letting it burn.
- You can remove excess oil by using a tissue.
- If you are not using a non-stick pan, you must preheat it before putting the oil. This will prevent the okoy from sticking.
- How to cook okoy with a twist? You can also add other vegetables like green papaya, and togue to add flavor and chewing experience.