Paksiw na Tamban sa Gata is a great dish. The lingering sour but creamy flavor is something to die for.
Sardines are a common fish found in the Pacific and the Atlantic Ocean, making them as one of the staple food of people from around the world. It’s also one of the most preserved.
In the Philippines, sardines are called Tamban and Filipinos prefer it grilled. However, it’s also good when cooked with coconut milk.
What is Paksiw na Tamban sa Gata?
Paksiw na Tamban sa Gata is never different because it’s like an ordinary paksiw added with coconut milk.
Allow me to say that I prefer the one with coconut milk because it adds a creamy and sweet flavor.
What are the Ingredients?
For this, we need a kilo of tamban that is cleaned properly. You can ask the butcher to remove the innards and scales but you must clean it again when you get home. Fish innards, when not removed properly can cause bitter after-tastes, which you will never like.
You’ll also need a cup of coconut milk, 1/4 cup of white vinegar, vegetables, spices, and seasonings.
Here is the breakdown:
- 1-kilo tamban or sardines
- 1 cup fresh coconut milk
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- A bundle of white cabbage or pechay
- 4 medium tomatoes – chopped
- 1 medium red onion – chopped
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 knob ginger – chopped
- 1 medium green chilies (siling panigang)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Now, Let’s Cook Paksiw na Tamban sa Gata
- In a pan, saute garlic and onion.
- Add the ginger and let it fry for a minute.
- Put the tomatoes and let it simmer for a while. Then, add the water and let it boil until the skin of the tomatoes peels off.
- Add the white vinegar and salt let it boil.
- When you smell the vinegar, add the fish and then cover the pan. Let it boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and green chilies. Let it boil until it looks like forming curd.
- Add the white cabbage and cover. Let it boil for about 30 seconds.
- Sever and enjoy.
- When adding the salt, make sure it’s saltier than your preference because you will still add the coconut milk.
- You can add more vinegar if you like.
- You can cut the green chilies if you want it spicy.