This liempo sisig recipe features vegetables so you will have crunch while eating.
He is crazy, he is adventurous, and he is Andrew Zimmern.
Zimmern is the host of the bankable program “Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern,” which is now running its 13th year. For the show, he will travel around the world so he can have a bite of the delicious food and thus, from the name, highlighting the weirdest delicacies.
Yes, Zimmern featured the Philippines, and again, yes, he ate balot. He also consumed dirty ice cream in a bun, tamilok, coconut worms, and many more.
A huge of fan of the Filipino cuisines, Zimmern made his version of sisig featuring pork belly.
Well, I also have my version of Liempo sisig, which also features vegetables. Here is the recipe:
- 1/2 kilo pork liempo (belly)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 small carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 of a medium Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Reno liver spread
- salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Water – for making lechong kawali
Make lechong kawali:
- In a pressure put water, salt, and liempo. Let it cook under pressure for 15 minutes.
- Drain and towel dry. Let it sit for about 1 hour.
- Deep fry for about 5 minutes to achieve the crunchy consistency.
- Chop finely.
- Set aside.
Make the liempo sisig:
- In a pan, saute garlic and onion.
- Add the carrots and let it cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the lechong kawali and mix.
- Put the mayonnaise and liver spread. Then, mix well.
- Add salt and pepper. Then, mix well.
- Remove from the fire and let it cool down.
- Add the lettuce and cucumber. Mix well.
- Serve and enjoy.