Adobong Lechong Kawali Recipe
Adobong Lechong Kawali is a dish made in heaven. The incorporation of crunchy chew and overlapping flavor from the sauce is stunning.
Adobong baboy and lechong kawali are way different dishes. How do I say so? Well, let me explain…
Adobo, in general, is considered the lazy man’s dish because you can just dump all the ingredients and cook until the flavors are incorporated. Lechong kawali, on the other hand, is an I-am-in-the-mood-to-cook dish because this will require tons of patience.
However, the idea of combining them is great. So, here is Adobong Lechong Kawali recipe:
This recipe requires pork belly or liempo only because the part has the right amount of fat and meat to achieve that crunch that everyone loves.
- 1 kilo pork belly – sliced into small pieces
- 3/4 cup vinegar (separate 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 soy sauce (separate 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 medium onion (allot some for the sauce) – finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic (allot some for the sauce) – finely minced
- laurel leaves
- ground pepper
- oil for frying
Make the Lechong Kawali
Read: Lechong Kawali Recipe
- In a pan, boil the liempo in five cups of water for about 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup vinegar and soy sauce, garlic and onion; and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoon sugar, laurel leaves, and pepper. Then, boil until the water almost runs out.
- Remove the meat from the pan and let it cool down.
Make the Adobo Sauce
- In a pan mix the remaining water, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, onion and garlic let it boil for about five minutes.
- Add laurel leaves and pepper. Boil until thick.
- Pre-heat a deep pan for about a minute and add oil. Keep the fire high for about 5 minutes.
- Add the liempo and cover.
- Remove from the pan and let it rest in a strainer. Let the excess oil drip.
- Put the sauce on the plate and then top with the lechong kawali.
- To prevent the oil from splattering make sure that the meat is a little dry.
- Deep fry (I mean all covered) to have great results.
- Do not over drizzle the liempo as it will result into gummy and lapse lechong kawali.
Pingback: Crispy Adobo Recipe - Food Citations