Bicol Express Recipe is not hard to do. You just need a lot of patience and extra precaution.
Situated in the eastern part of the Philippines, Caramoan is home to scenic beaches, iconic rocks, striking caves, and many more. The place is truly captivating and people, especially in the Philippines, should include this place in their bucket lists.
Caramoan is truly a gem in the Bicol Region.
The places that you should visit in Caramoan are the Matukad Beach, Cagbanilad Island, Mt. Caglago and many more.
The Matukad Beach features this mysterious lake that features this enchanted bangus (milkfish).
Read: Bangus steak recipe
Locals called it enchanted bangus because first, it is living in non-salty water and second, they believe that it is guided by spirits. They say one boatman died because he caught the other bangus and served it for a meal. Our boatman also noted that one tourist cussed and threw rocks on the fish and then later, he fell sick.
Aside from Caramoan, one thing that comes into my mind when we say Bicol is the Bicol Express.
Ingredients (Bicol Express Recipe):
- 1 kilo pork, chopped into small pieces
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons shrimp paste
- 1 piece Thai pepper, crushed
- 2 pieces green chilies, chopped
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, boil the pork until most of the water evaporates. Set aside.
- In a pot, saute garlic until golden brown before adding the onion.
- Add the ginger and let it simmer.
- Add the pork. Let it boil.
- Put the coconut milk, Thai pepper, and shrimp paste. Boil until thick.
- Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped green chilies.
- Serve and enjoy.
- You can use a pressure cooker if you want very tender meat.
- Adjust the salt based on your preferences.